- Huge 6-Inch Screen for Easy Navigation
- Keep Ahead of Changing Roads and Congestions with Lifetime Map and Traffic Updates
- Be Ready for every Eventuality with TomTom Roadside Assistance
- Get into the Right Lane with Advanced Lane Guidance
- Maps of the USA, Canada and Mexico by TomTom
- TomTom Mount with easy-fit to dashboard or Windshield
TomTom VIA 1605TM Review
TomTom was the first company to design and release digital road maps for drivers and has always been ahead of the game in getting you where you want to go. The TomTom VIA 1605TM with Lifetime Traffic & Maps will do this and more. This sturdy unit has a massive 6-inch screen to give you a clear view of your route and anything of interest along the way. You can view this generous screen on either your windshield or your dashboard. The mount that comes with your unit will fit on both, and can be flipped about to suit your needs
The TomTom VIA 1605TM with Lifetime Traffic & Maps will never leave you in a dead end or going in circles either. As the name might suggest, you will always get the latest maps for the USA, Canada and Mexico, free of charge. All your favourite places and routes will be saved in your unit even after each update. TomTom maps also feature IQ Routes, a comprehensive database of routes and travel time, meaning that you will have the fastest route available, and more accurate calculations to boot! Your directions and street names will all be spoken aloud to you, and you can download new voices to do the speaking including some celebrity voices. Check out the great range of free and for sale voices on TomTom’s site, such as Homer Simpson, KITT, Han Solo and many more.
Check Out These Customer Reviews – Click Here
The Traffic Update features of most Car GPS units are relatively new and tend to depend largely on the infrastructure from city to city. TomTom is continually developing their traffic update system to give you the best possible alerts system to any major traffic jams that you can face and the TomTomVIA 1605TM featuring Lifetime Traffic & Map updates, you are guaranteed access to the best possible service as long as your unit lasts. This unit does however use the older TomTom RDS-TMC traffic system, and not the newer HD Traffic, so it isn’t quite as accurate as it might be. The VIA 1605TM will also keep track of your speed vs. the speed limit, and give you a helpful reminder when speed cameras are nearby (though it obviously can’t detect the manual cameras set up by patrols).
Finding your way around difficult road junctions and multi-lane highways has been made easy by the TomTom VIA 1605TM. When you get near one of these Rubik cubes of tarmac your VIA 1650TM will enter a 3D viewing mode, showing in detail where you are and where you want to be. No more worrying about finding yourself heading in the wrong direction thanks to bad road signs. If you should change your destination or want to take a different route, the VIA 1650TM will quickly and accurately find a new route for you on the fly.
There are a couple downsides of course. There isn’t a Bluetooth adaptor that would let you attach your phone or MP3 player, nor a plug-in for TomTom’s HD Traffic. The HD Traffic tracks users in real time to give a better idea of where traffic is moving slowly. The built in system makes use of traffic cameras, and occasionally will not warn you of an impending log jam.
Overall the TomTom VIA 1605TM Review with Lifetime Traffic & Maps is an excellent unit for the price, providing some of the best navigation and the easy-use that comes with a large unit. TomTom has built themselves a good reputation of support and assistance, so should anything go wrong (as always happens with anything electronic) you can depend on excellent service, which I think often trumps the product itself!
- Large 6-inch Screen make for Highly Visible Routes.
- Accurate Routes and Navigation.
- Lane assistance in 3D keeps you from getting Lost on Complicated Junctions.
- Free Map updates for the Unit’s Lifetime.
- Free Traffic Monitoring for Life.
- Spoken Street Names.
- IQ routes find the Fastest Way from A to B.
- Fits to Dashboard or Windscreen.
- No Bluetooth Adaptor for Cell Phone or MP3 Player.
- Uses Older Traffic System with No Port to Attach an HD Traffic Cable.
- The Computer Setup and Upgrade can be Somewhat Confusing.
- The Button-Hole Car Mount System can Take Getting Used To.
- No Case Included.
- No Option to Expand Memory for More Maps.
- No RV Mode.
- Traffic will not work on Battery Mode, must have the Supplied Cable.