- Interactive touchscreen – 4.3 inches
- Free Lifetime Maps updates of the USA and Canada
- Gas Price Index – Find the cheapest gas station on your route and nearby
- Keep yourself covered with TomTom Roadside Assistance
- 3D Lane Guidance directs you to the precise lane you need to be in
TomTom Start 45M Review
The TomTom Start series is their bare bones, budget range, and the TomTom Start 45M with Lifetime Maps and Roadside Assistance falls into this category. Don’t think this means they skimp on the important things though, for a reasonable price you can pick up a very dependable unit that can get you from A to B without fail, wherever you go. You don’t have to waste your money on all the fancy gadgets that the more expensive VIA and GO series units have, but you still get the TomTom reliability and accuracy.
TomTom was the first company to produce digital road maps for drivers, and they have continued to supply top quality navigation software to their customers. Not only do you get these maps with the TomTom Start 45M, but you get all the updates for free, for as long as the unit lasts. The times of standing outside your car for ages, waiting for you GPS to find satellites has drawn to close as well. Technology has steadily improved, and the Start 45M includes the fast acquisition capabilities that you’ll see in their most expensive units as well.
Check Out These Customer Reviews – Click Here
The TomTom Start 45M utilises many of the other features that TomTom has developed over the years including the lane guidance software. When you approach a difficult intersection or highway junction, your unit will automatically change into an advanced 3D mode, showing you precisely where you are and where you need to go. No more lane mix ups that cost you time and money! It will also keep an eye on your speed, and warn you whenever you are near a known speed camera. The TomTom Start 45M also makes use of the IQ Route database, a large collection of recorded travel times that helps your unit better calculate your actual travel time, and find the most expedient route available.
You may wonder however, what you miss out on when going for the baby of the range. The more expensive units in the Start series have all the same features, but they do have bigger screens. The VIA and GO series will use exactly the same maps, but they will have better quality screens and handy gadgets. With these more advanced units you can connect your Bluetooth devices, such as your cell phone, which lets your play music through your GPS or use it as a hands free kit. They will usually have voice activation as well more options to customise your experience.
The TomTom Start 45M is not without gadgets however, the best being the gas price index. This weekly downloadable list will help you find the cheapest gas station around. This feature is free for a year, but does require you plug your unit into your PC. You can also make use of the Map Share feature that lets you make corrections to the maps, and share them with other users. You even get a free subscription to the TomTom Roadside recovery service. Though this service isn’t free if you use it, it’s a nice safety net for long travels. If the default voice bores you, you can download a huge variety of voices online and let them guide you around. Some are user made and free, but the best are for sale, with a couple very cool celebrity voices available. Only the default voice will read street names though.
All in all the TomTom Start 45M is a great budget device that does what it says on the box. You might find yourself longing for more toys, but if your agenda is just to get from A to B then this is the one for you.
- Competitive price
- Lifetime Maps Updates for the USA and Canada
- Get access to TomTom’s roadside recovery service
- Advanced 3D lane guidance around complicated junctions
- Find the fastest way to travel with IQ routes
- Helps you find the cheapest Gas station nearby
- Keeps a track of your speed and the current speed limit
- Warns you of upcoming speed cameras
- Spoken street names
- No Bluetooth for connecting your phone or MP3
- Screen is on the small side
- No traffic monitoring and warning software
- No Voice command capability
- You have to connect to the computer to get gas prices
- Supplied mount can be awkward to use and the GPS may fall off at certain angles
- No case or storage bag supplied
- Doesn’t support Mac out of the box
- Gas feature only free for one year